She loves, loves, loves to draw (and is very talented), also baking (helping out whenever she can), and chocolate (like mother, like daughter). And although I don't like to mention, she does not always like her little sister Josephine. However I do have to mention that when Josephine was away in Korea for more than a month, Robyn did get very lonely at times. To Robyn, my only words from experience, having a sister is something you learn to appreciate over time and when you get to that point, you wonder how you'd ever managed without.
I remember when I first met Robyn, it was the day before my high school graduation. Susan (my sister, her mom), was planning to visit for the summer but made it here early enough just to make the event. I almost forgot the excitement of graduation because of their visit. She is the first niece/granddaughter for our family and will be the oldest cousin to many more additions of our growing families. She has already been crowned "babysitter" and "the one in charge". Her presence/existence has taught us (the auntie's, grandparents and parents) to be more attentive (of our bad habits), more concise (like trying to explain what concise means), and just overall smarter (because you can't get away with anything when you got a kid hanging around). We do expect a lot out of her, but we know she can do it!
Josephine is ...actually, let the "many faces of Josephine" do some of the explaining.
This last picture is unfair (and a bit scary) because she's one super, happy kid. When in doubt refer back to the first pic.
She enjoys ... everything! or I should say, everything her sister enjoys, plus some. Although "a handful" at times, and a holler of "Josephine!" can be heard wherever she goes (usually by her mom, but mostly by Robyn), her smile brings a smile to all our faces.
I think back fondly of the days leading up to the first time we met. I was in Korea visiting/helping my sister during the week before Josephine was due. And I stayed there for the first few weeks of her life. (I can also mention that I was in Korea when she was conceived too). Those days I spent there were a lot of fun and an experience I'll never forget. Yes, I had to deal with my recovering sister (who had a c-section) and yes, I had to take care of a young, nothing but cries (for her mother) and complaints (that I wasn't her mother), Robyn, but it was all worth it. Late in the night, when everyone else would be sleeping, was when Josephine would be wide eyed and awake. She came to us a week early and weighed almost nine pounds and her nickname in the hospital was "toeng-toeng ee" (chubby one). And just before leaving Korea, only weeks old, she was trying to lift her head on her own (something babies don't do for months). Maybe that explains her now, rambunctious, never tired, doing whatever she wants-whenever she wants (literally). All our lives would be a lot less boring without her.


I just love her spirit, here she is dancing in a restaurant. I wish I had video taped it.
what it's like to have a young girl around (or in the future, a daughter). From having to deal with taking her to the washroom (which he's never had to fully deal with because I was around) to "having" to worry about her and the boys she'll encounter as she gets older. In which he replies, "Don't remind me about it".
I thoughtlessly let the two of them go and pick out a movie to rent. They came back with "Frosty the Snowman", a fine choice...a definite kid choice, seeing as it was the middle of the summer. Then there was Ryan's choice..."Gremlins". Now I'm not putting it down or anything , but come on. I asked, "Do you even remember the movie? I don't think she'll enjoy it. I remember..." and I'm cut off by..."I was just around her age when I saw it and I loved it. Come on, it's a good movie and there's not a lot out there to choose from that I want to watch too,"(someones not being selfish). So I reluctantly agreed and gave warning. As soon as the first person died (a teacher half laying from underneath his desk), who do you know is laying right next to me and peeking out from behind her hands,asking "Is he dead?". Then I knew it was time to shut it down and head to the kitchen for a late night dessert. This is the result of exposure to Gremlins, at too early of an age...but still enjoying her brownie-ice cream.
There is nothing like a chocolate dessert to take the bad thoughts away. And does she love, love, love chocolate. Until I met her, I had never seen anyone eat away the chocolate of a marble cake...and she did.
Don't let this story fool you, she has had plenty of "jumping off the walls, get her down" moments. Which is how we knew she would be a perfect match for Josephine in our recent wedding.
She's our little Sarabun and we love her. She loves food and is always up for trying something new (to eat or do). And in all her silliness, messiness, and craziness, she's still our little girl, who loves all those girly things. (I love watching Ryan try to show enthusiasm for her new clothes or hair.

Here are all three girls, at our rehearsal.
And last, as in, save the best for last, is our newest member to the Yang Family, Dayan
Dayan was born on October 4, 2006. Now all babies are cute but other than being very bias, she is the cutest baby out there. It has been a while since we've had a baby in the house (my parent's house). To be exact, almost six years (Josephine's lifetime...haha). And we or at least I am re-introducing myself to baby smell, baby changing, baby head holding, baby nobbly head bobbing...just everything baby. And it is so much fun, all over again.
Bias or not though, this baby is the most well behaved baby there is. She (hardly) never cries. She lets out little squeaks and bits here and there but they only last seconds. She loves it when you talk to her (not baby talk) and she'll respond right back (in baby talk). She produces smiles and laughs more often than us grown babies. And when she does, smile at whatever it is that you are doing, a great feeling of accomplishment rushes over you and all your left with is wanting to do it all over again...there's no better feeling. And as my brother (her daddy) puts it "a smile worth dying for". And if you want to see other sounds come out of her check this out.
Just to look at her speaks for itself.

She is not to feel any less special just because she is last in this entry because she is certainly not the last in our growing family. She still precedes many more nephews&nieces/cousins/grand kids that are planned for the future. She should, actually, enjoy this time to the fullest. Because according to Robyn (and Robyn's dad Tom), she may feel "out with the old, in with the new,"as more members enter in to this full-filling family.
Instead of sucking her thumb, she sucks her fingers.
5 comments:
Grace! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note - glad to see that you are doing well. Congrats on the wedding!
Hey Grace,
Your nieces are so cute. I remember, in university, when you would talk all the time about Robyn, made me want to be an auntie--and now that I am I can see how much fun it is:)
Heidi
Grace - your nieces are adorable! Congratulations on getting married!! Still waiting for the pictures....;)
Thanks guys. It is very fun being an auntie. Heidi you're an auntie too! How big Logan must be getting. It'll be great to see him when you return to Canada.
Thanks Joanna, I'm still waiting for pics too. I forgot to mention to you I got a chance to see your wedding pics...very nice, artistic.
Thought i would check our your blog, too. Those are some cute pictures!! I have 2 nephews and one niece who will make her entrance into the world in july :D
Post a Comment